Saturday, June 6, 2009

Declare Love Not War: Part 1


I'm keenly aware of the fact that whatever I think could very well be banal attempts at achieving any sort of clarity with the world I've been placed in. I understand that anything I say could make me sound like I'm completely full of shit and I'm becoming okay with that. Because my person is not built around the facade of being "right" and having the correct answers. Not really anymore.

In recent years, I have trusted in the idea that if someone holds the bible in their hand tells me something that sounds semi-rational then it must be from God. This has been a curious position to hold among someone who has spent the majority of their life reading the perspectives of such a diverse range of thinkers from Foucault to Berkely to Sartre to Hume to C.S. Lewis. So why would I think to make conclusions based on a very small isolated group of people that hold up the bible and shout out their interperetations as the ultimate authority of truth. It has brought me to a place of drawing very broad conclusions based on very little data. It has caused me to give very point-blank, black & white answers to very gray questions. Most importantly, it has caused me to draw lines in the sand and declare war in places where it was absolutely unnecessary and even harmful to do so.

What the hell am I talking about? Using Christ as a weopon. Taking the bible and interpereting it in order to fit your personal worldview. I am not saying that I don't do that or that it's right or wrong, because right and wrong is a lot more subjective than most people realize. I am just saying that it happens, everywhere. Some of the most popular instances of this happen to do with homosexuality. Yeah, at the surface, if you're a christian it seems to be a concrete issue, Homosexuality is unnatural and wrong, right? It distorts God's original design from the garden, right? Yeah, according to scripture it does. But then Jesus comes into human history as God and lives a sinless life, dies on the cross and rises three days later conquering satan, sin & death so that through Him ALL will be reconciled to the Father through Him. This is what we learn in sunday school. Then a good friend of yours, pulls you aside and says, "Dude, I totally love Jesus and I have confessed that He is God, but I'm gay, bro. But I'm totally taken with the Grace of Jesus and it informs all of my life but I'm attracted to men. Am I still going to hell because I'm not straight?" I asked a christian dude who I respected and asked this authority figure of my gay christian buddy was going to hell. He told me to tell my bro that even though he loves Jesus his homosexualtiy nullifies the Grace that he has submitted himself to. I went to my buddy and after discussing this crazy concept that his conversion wasn't enough, he cried and then he told me to go fuck myself. He is now a proud atheist.

No comments:

Post a Comment